Various members of the Rose family, who lived at Sandhills in Mudeford, attained distinction; William Stewart Rose was a great friend of Sir Walter Scott, who, it is said, wrote at Sandhills. Sir Edmund Yeamans Walcott Henderson, chief commissioner of the Metropolitan police, who died in 1896, was born at Mudeford in 1821. 32) as also, in 1800, did Southey, who did much writing there.
Edmund Lord Lyons, admiral and diplomat, was born here in 1790. 52); Walmore, Lykehaye and Nonnewade (xvi cent.) (fn. In 1590 a house called Gerrard stood on the site of Somerford Manor, and near by was the Prior's Withie. 60) To its position between the rivers Avon and Stour the site of Christchurch owed its earlier name of Twinham, representing an old English , 'between the waters.' The Hampshire Twinham first appears in the chronicle in the annal for 901, which relates the events of 899, the year of King Alfred's death.
In 1843 the ecclesiastical parish of Highcliff was formed, but the civil parish of Christchurch remained unaltered until 1894, (fn. 4); the remainder, comprising about 1,000 acres in and around the town, constituted the new parish of Christchurch.
1) when an extensive subdivision was made, resulting in the formation of six separate civil parishes —namely, Christchurch East, (fn. In 1897 the civil parish of Highcliff was formed by cutting off from Christchurch East a wide parallel strip along the coast; and in 1901 this parish was further increased by a transference to it from Southbourne parish of the promontory known as Hengistbury Head. 5) In the following year the civil parishes of Southbourne and Pokesdown (fn. A great part of the parish was formerly common land, but in 1805 (fn.
Among the men of distinction educated at Christchurch Grammar School were Bingley the naturalist, Warner the county historian, and Admiral Sir Harry Neale. 33) The house built before 1787 by Gustavus Brander on the site of the priory was once inhabited by the Duke of Orleans, father of King Louis Philippe. 53); Hamborough, Bodyers, Gunters, and Ranckhams (xvi cent.) (fn. 55); Duncombe Close and Scottes Common (xvii cent.) (fn. Upon that event Ethelwold, a younger son of King Ethelred I, seized the estates of Wimborne of Twinham 'without the leave of the king or the Witan.' The suppression of his revolt was soon accomplished; its details are not relevant here. 61) But it is important to note that in the annal of 901 Wimborne and Twinham are described, not as .
The following place-names occur: Dudecompa (xii cent.) (fn. 35) the modern Dudmoor; La Grave, Bradefeld, and Hedenesbury (xii cent.), (fn. 42) was probably the modern Palmer's Ford in Hurn; Staple (xvii cent.), the modern Staple Cross (fn. 44) the modern Latch Farm in Hurn; Richedon (xii cent.), the modern Ramsdown Hill (fn. 56); Garton, Little Podney, Podney Magna, Ilesham, Morley's Cross and Creedes (xvii cent.) (fn. It is evident that in 899 Twinham possessed no fortifications other than belonged to the normal estate of the time.
The houses of the town are not of much architectural interest, and are for the most part of comparatively modern date, the bulk of the new building being to the north, where the presence of the railway station has caused a suburb to spring up.
There are, however, one or two red brick 18thcentury fronts, and in Castle Street is an ancient timberframed house which has been refronted and is now a butcher's shop.
West of the town is the picturesque village of Iford on the River Stour, close to which is the ground preserving traditions of Saxon battles. The parish of Christchurch East lies to the northeast of Christchurch and contains 6,755 acres, (fn. O., and the residence of Sir Harold Harmsworth, bart.
There was probably always a school in connexion with the priory; it was included among the possessions of the priory when these were confirmed by Baldwin de Redvers in about 1140. 13) At the time of the Dissolution a master was kept to teach the children grammar, and a daily lecture in divinity was given. 14) At a subsequent date, which is not known, a free grammar school was founded, (fn. 19) of which 1 acre is covered by tidal water and 27 by inland water; 2,285½ acres are arable, 1,737¾ permanent grass and 1,224 woods and plantations. 20) There are many gravel and clay pits in the parish, mostly now disused. It is an imposing modern building in a style based upon the French architecture of the 15th century.
The centre face of the south octagon contains a doorway opening to a flight of steps into the garden. Ricardo; and Sandhills, the property and residence of Sir George Rose. The extensive parish of Hurn lies north-west of Christchurch, and stretches further north than any other parish in the hundred. 27) of which 81 acres are covered by inland and 4 by tidal water, 990¼ acres are arable, 1,236 permanent grass and 1,528 woods and plantations. 28) The village lies 3 miles north-west from Christchurch upon a road leading to Hampreston. 29) the road crosses the Moors River, which turns Hurn water mill close to the village.
The whole building is crowned by an elaborately pierced stone parapet, and at the north-west angle is an imposing carriage porch with ogee-headed side openings, and a two-centred arch to the full height of the north face, which is steeply gabled and flanked by panelled octagonal turrets. Somerford Grange, which was once the grange of the prior of Christchurch, was inhabited by John Draper, the last prior after the Dissolution. Cottages and farm-houses are scattered over the whole parish, and the open country is for the most part low-lying.
The present parish of Christchurch comprises 1,030 acres, (fn.