With the dawn of the twentieth century, the Company handed over the Institute to the University of London.
It was re-christened Goldsmiths College and the modern era of Goldsmiths had begun.
Over the next five decades they provided an education to the sons of officers in the Royal Navy and Royal Marines.
The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, one of the most powerful of London’s ‘City Livery Companies’, purchased the site and buildings after the Naval School moved out in 1889.
Many of these led to City and Guilds or other awards.
The Goldsmiths Company had established the School of Art as part of their Institute and continued to fund it after the College was created.
At the same time we were named in the CUG league tables in the UK’s top ten for our Art & Design and Communication & Media Studies programmes.
Today we actively encourage close links between our departments so students can learn in a fertile interdisciplinary atmosphere.
Nevertheless, the College produced many noted artists including the nationally recognised ‘Goldsmiths School’ of etchers, and the war artist Graham Sutherland.
As the twentieth century progressed, art education became more academic.
Two years later, The Goldsmiths’ Company’s Technical and Recreative Institute opened.
For 13 years, the Company ran a hugely successful operation.
At its peak over 7,000 male and female students were enrolled, drawn from the ‘industrial and working classes’ of the New Cross area.